Discovery: 2019 BVI Itinerary $3500
We are finalizing the 2019 schedule and itinerary. This course will be held over the summer and winter months. Currently, the first courses for 2019 will be taking place throughout the British Virgin Islands beginning in June. A detailed itinerary will follow soon.
2019 Schedule: June 6th thru June 15th
2019 Schedule: June 6th thru June 15th
- DAY 1: Students and Chaperones will fly from their home city to San Juan, Puerto Rico, and stay the night.
- All students traveling from Austin TX will travel together with chaperones. We will coordinate with students traveling outside of Austin to meet up in San Juan, Puerto Rico.
- DAY 2: As a group we will spend the day in San Juan engaged in team building activities and having fun on the beach.
- Day 3: In the morning we will fly from San Juan to Road Town on the Island of Torotal (in the British Virgin Islands)
- We will spend the night in the Sailing Virgin's Bunk Houses, next to Village Cay, Road Town (where the yacht is docked).
- That evening students will be tested on the basics of sailing, safety aboard, and duties. (Prior to joining the boat, students should have completed their NauticEd online course work and exams).
- DAY4 thru Day 10
- At 9:00 am we will make a short walk to our yacht and where students will get to meet the captain.
- Rooms will be assigned aboard and a quick walk through detailing all the amenities and their operation will be explained. Once students are settled in and unpacked, our instructor will conduct a safety briefing and take everyone through the course plan. Shortly afterwards we set sail to our first destination, a popular stop at Peter Island where we will be able to have some lunch and a swim. Every day brings a different bay: the formal course activities and sailing finish at around 5pm with a group meeting at the end of each day. For each lunch and dinner students will work together to prepare the meals.
- Over the next six and a half days students will wake up to the sounds of the Caribbean sea and have a little time for a pre-breakfast swim straight off the boat. After a quick breakfast, we raise anchor and set sail. The locations visited during the course can change on short notice due to weather and other conditions. As a guide they will most likely include: Tortola (including Cane Garden Bay), Cooper Island, Virgin Gorda and Jost van Dyke. Each day will consist of covering and reinforcing a new lesson, time for lunch, and anchoring for the night. Students will each take turns controlling the helm, operating the various lines and equipment aboard, while also working on leadership and teamwork skills. The instructor and chaperones will ensure every student gets enough experience at each station to make sure they have a good level of competency at the end of the week.
- DAY 10:
- On the last day (Sunday) we sail back to Village Cay, Road Town. The course finishes on or before midday. Students will receive a debrief and discuss what they have experienced aboard over the last week including all they have learned.
- As a group we will fly back to San Juan, Puerto Rico, where students will catch a flight to their home destination (most students will be flying back with chaperones to Austin TX).
- Flat rate One Week Course: $3500
- Travel (Round Trip from Austin TX to yacht. Including travel fees. If you are flying from another location pricing may change or you will need to rendezvous with the group in Austin).
- All food and living Expenses
- All Course Material
- All Boat Fees
- Other Operating Costs
YSP offers full and partial scholarships based on need and a first come first serve basis. As part of our ongoing mission, YSP accepts donations and conducts several fundraising events ever year to help reduce the cost to students and provide scholarships.